Friday, April 07, 2006

An Excuse For Not Blogging? Perish The Thought!

The No Excuses Blog has fallen silent…

…readers are in full revolt mode—demanding to know why they’re no longer getting blog updates.  

Would you like to hear an excuse?  

Of course you didn’t.  And I have none to give.  Nada.  Zip.

But I will bring you a lesson from the silent blog.  

Time management.  

I am perhaps the most disorganized person in the world.  Without a routine, I cannot get anything accomplished.  And that really is an understatement.  

Over the last 2 weeks, my marketing efforts have been so successful that my workload has turned upside down…

….and because of that I broke my routine.

BIG mistake.  

Some people will tell you that you have to stay “flexible” in your time.  And that’s true to some extent.  You have to be able to keep a certain amount of flexibility in your schedule.  

But that doesn’t mean putting things off.  And it certainly doesn’t mean changing your schedule on a daily basis.  

In my routine, I devote certain blocks of time to my daily tasks (some of which are not work-related).  I take 30 minutes a day to blog, 30 minutes to practice the violin, and 30 minutes to exercise, and 30 minutes to study Korean.  

Have I done any of it the last 2 weeks?  

That’s a BIG FAT NO.  

The results?  

No blog entries, I’ve made no progress on my violin, I gained 2 pounds, and my Korean is stagnating.  

So, listen up: learn from this mistake.  

Keep your routines.  A routine will save you and serve you when you are overwhelmed.  Routines also pack in the most productivity in the shortest amount of time, so you can spend that extra time doing the things you REALLY want to be doing.  

If you have a routine that works for you, I'd like to hear it.   Feel free to e-mail it, and I will post some of them here on this blog or in my No Excuses Marketing Newsletter (which was delayed this week due to breaking my routine).  

To Your Continued Success,

Carlon Haas
results@carlonhaas.com

  

No comments: