Saturday, January 28, 2006

Look Around...Your Next Big Breakthrough Might Be Right In Front Of You

When you’re out and about this weekend, keep your “marketing eyes” open.  

You’d be surprised at all the things you can learn just by watching what companies do to try to get you to buy from them.  

One of my biggest marketing epiphanies came once when I was getting gas.  And when I was done getting gas and about to get my receipt, what did it say?

“Would you like a car wash today?”

I thought,  well…my car could use washing.  And almost instinctively I pushed YES and agreed to fork over $5 on a car wash.  

It is, in my opinion, one of the best up-sells I’ve ever seen.  It reminded me of a need (my car was dirty), and it prompted me AFTER I committed to buying (what’s another $5 after spending nearly $30?).  Perfect timing.  

Tune in tomorrow, and I'll tell you about how a truly terrible attempt at upselling...

…and how you can avoid it.  

Looking out for your next big breakthrough,

Carlon Haas  

No comments: