Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Putting Things In Prospective

Monday was supposed to be the day that I sent out my annual best wishes for the New Year.  You see, I lived in Korea so long that I still tend to celebrate the Lunar New Year as my new year's day.  

But the e-mail didn’t get sent out on time.

You see, the night before my 2 year old daughter spiked a high fever in the middle of the night.  My wife and I were up till almost 6:00 am bringing the fever down.  Needless to say, my schedule didn't get back on track until right now.

Our daughter has had a febrile seizure in the past, and so we have to be extra careful when she gets sudden fevers to prevent another seizure (doctor says we'll have to do this till she "outgrows" it at about 9 years old).

For those who don’t know about febrile seizures, let's just say that the doctor says they're not a problem to the long-term health of the child, but they are scary as hell to watch a child go through.

But seeing my daughter like that the other night reminded me of how easily the things we take for granted in life can be taken away.  One day everything is fine, the next day…

…BAM…everything is upended.  

It does happen that way to some people.

Every day I look for more ways to make people (and myself) money and make their businesses successful.  And, to be honest, I love what I am doing and can get so totally engrossed in it that I do ignore things in my life that I should not ignore.

Not often…but we all do it from time to time.

I've never really subscribed to the whole "make money at all costs" theory, but sometimes we get so caught up in what we want to do that we lost sight of what we're doing.  

We lose sight of what’s really important and take the things that we have for granted.

But we can lose those things at any moment.  

So, I think it’s a good idea to sometimes take stock of our lives…

…look at what we want to achieve and why we are doing it.  

I am not saying that we should not go all out to achieve our professional goals or that we shouldn’t try to make as much money as humanly possible.

I am saying that every so often we should put our lives into prospective.  

We should ever forget the reason why we do what we do.  And we should not neglect the things that are really important because sometimes…

…by the time we get around to it, it just might be too late.  

To your success,

Carlon Haas
P.S. My daughter is perfectly fine now and is back to running my wife and I ragged.  Time to take her to "Uncle Steve”'s house again.




1 comment:

Steve Harper said...

Great post and yes....Uncle Steve is ready to see her and her parents!