Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A Cross-Selling Nightmare

The other week, I went to a grocery store (name withheld to protect the innocent) to buy 2 things:

1.  Paper towels
2.  A can of cooking spray

When I went to the counter to pay, the cashier asked me, “Would you like some ice with that/”

“Ice?” I replied.

The cashier looked a little dumbstruck and nothing further was said.

This, my dear blog readers, was perhaps the worst attempt at cross-selling I’ve ever seen.

Cross-selling is something I encourage everyone to do, but remember the key to cross-selling is offering a complimentary item.

For example, if I am buying beer, then it would be quite proper to ask me if I wanted ice.  But cooking spray, paper towels, and…

… ice?  

If someone out there can find the connection, I’d be willing to entertain your theories.  

Remember if you are going to cross-sell...

…make sure the items cross-sold are related and seem like a logical compliment of one another.  

Your bottom line will thank you.

To your success,
Carlon Haas

No comments: