Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Why Most People Fail At Networking

Last night I attended my favorite networking event, the 8 Minute Ripple.  It was a lot of fun.  In my newsletter this week, I talked about networking.  But as I was at the event last night, one thing occurred to me.

I notice one fatal flaw most people make at events.  It’s not the elevator speeches or bad impressions.  Nope. The fatal flaw most people make is...

…lack of follow-up.  

I employ a sound follow up strategy.  I send out e-mail to the people I meet.  But typically, I try to make connections with people at the events, so that when I do e-mail them it's not something like:

“Hi X,

This is Carlon Haas, copywriter and marketing consultant.  I would be interested in helping your company get better results from its advertising…blah, blah, blah,”

Instead on the initial follow-up, it can be more personal focused around a point of interest we both shared.  For example,

“Hi X,

This is Carlon Haas from X event last night.  I really enjoyed talking with you about the meaning of life and about your work as an acupuncturist.  As I told you, I lived in South Korea for 6 years, so I am interested in Eastern medicine because of the results it got for me when I hurt my back in Korea…."

See the difference?  Following up is crucial to networking…without it, you’re just wasting your money to attend the event.  And by trying to make interesting connections while you’re at the event, it makes the follow up process a whole lot easier.  

Try this method at your next networking event.  

To Your Success,

Carlon Hass
www.carlonhaas.com

1 comment:

Steve Harper said...

FOLLOW UP...leading killer of most promising connections and relationships! We as a culture tend to be programmed to allow procrastination to sink in and consume us...especially when it comes to not following up in a timely manner with the people we meet.