Monday, February 27, 2006

The 3 "Up"s For Providing World-Class Customer Service

I just read an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal.  It talks about how although “customer service” is a big buzzword right now, but few firms actually do it.  

I agree.  

But that's good news for you.  

Why?

Because by giving outstanding customer service, you can take a ton of business from the big guys.  

I am not kidding.  And in fact I am shocked at how bad customer service has gotten.  My clients actually thank me constantly for being on time.  

Being on time!  

Can you believe that?  I think punctuality should go without saying, but it just goes to show you how little clients are appreciated by some companies and independent professionals.  

But you can fill that void.  The bar is set so low now (pathetic but true) that just doing the bare minimum can get your more clients than you know what to do with.  

I do what I call the 3 "up"s for excellent customer service:

  1. Show up on time to meetings.  In fact, show up 15 minutes early.  People appreciate when you respect their time.

  2. Stay up on the deadline.  Never miss a deadline.  In fact, overestimate the time it will take to finish a job.  Then deliver it early.  Besides, if something comes up you have a little extra time to get the job done on time.  

  3. Follow up after you’re done.  When you finish a job, send an e-mail and ask how it went.  The feedback you get will be more valuable than anything else you will ever

That's it.  Show up, stay up, and follow up.  Seems simple, but you'd be shocked at how many people don't do these things.  Follow the 3 “up”s, and you’ll be on your way to excellent customer service.

To Your Success,

Carlon Haas
www.carlonhaas.com

No comments: