Monday, February 06, 2006

A No Excuses Defeat! What We Can All Learn From The Seattle Seahawks

Ever year, I cringe when I watch the Stupor Bowl (the competition between companies to see who can spend the most money on advertising for the least amount of results).

But I did watch the Super Bowl. And even though I was pretty unimpressed with the Seattle Seahawks, I am impressed with Jerramy Stevens.

No, I’m not impressed with the fact that he dropped 3 balls and saved his worst performance for the biggest game of his life. I am impressed with his comments afterwards.

Rather than pissing and moaning about the referees or the blaming the quarterback, Stevens said:

"I don't have a reason or excuse. I just didn't make the plays, bottom line."

And THAT, my friends, is the kind of attitude we need in business and marketing. When you put out new ads, you need to get results…bottom line—results. When you don’t get it done, there are no reasons or excuses that are going to change the fact that it didn't work.

When I write copy that’s not getting results, what do I do? You find out why it’s not working, buck up, and re-write the thing.

Jerramy Stevens may have lost the Super Bowl, but we can all learn from his professionalism and class. May we all have some of that when we don’t make the plays.

So, Jerramy, you get my non-excuse-maker of the week award.

To Your Success,

Carlon Haas
www.carlonhaas.com

No comments: