Thursday, February 23, 2006

Did Biting My Nails Cost Me Big Money?

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped biting my nails.  Now, I’ve bitten my nails for as long as I can remember.  But I can honestly say that I have absolutely no desire to bite them.

What changed?

Well, a couple of weeks ago I was talking with my speaking coach.  She looked at me with the most serious face and said, “Carlon, now don’t be offended.  You know I tell you things only because I think it will help you.”

I knew this had to be something bad.  So, I closed my eyes…

…took a deep breath…

…and waited.  

But instead, she took grabbed my hands and turned them over to reveal my bitten down fingernails.  

“Now, imagine that I am a corporate executive who wants to pay you $5,000 for a 60-minute speech…and I look down at your hands and see those things.  I may think twice about it.”  

"Come on…do you really think my nails make that big a difference?"

“Yes, I know they make a difference.  They can make all the difference.  I’ve seen it happen.”

My speaking coach knows what she’s talking about.  So, I took her advice and stopped biting my nails.  And surprisingly, it has been pretty easy to stop.  

But this brings me to the big issue: appearance.  The way you present yourself is the first step in an independent professional's marketing.  It's because YOU are the product.  And how you look can determine if you get work or not.  

I will cover this issue in more detail in the Monday issue of the No Excuses Marketing Newsletter.  If you haven’t signed up yet, please take a couple of minutes to do so.  You won’t want to miss it.

Till then…have a great weekend.

To Your Success,

Carlon Haas
www.carlonhaas.com

No comments: